THE ESSENTIALS OF BREATH
In yoga, breath is called “Pranayama.” Prana means “life force” energy or breath sustaining the body. Ayama means “to extend or draw out.”
Pranayama is an important part of yoga. This type of controlled breathing brings fluidity and rhythm to each asana (yoga pose). Pranayama helps calm the mind, circulate energy through the body, and connect body + mind. With pranayama, the breath releases and channels the body’s stores of internal energy.
Further Pranayama benefits:
• Calms the mind, reducing worries and anxieties
• Improves focus and attention, helps remove “brain fog”
• Increases energy and boosts mood
• Boosts the immune system
• Rejuvenates body and mind
• May slow down the aging process
With step by step instruction, Pranayama is a part of every class taught by Marla and may vary according to the class theme, season, time of day or mood. Your practice today could begin by taking three deep breaths to center and connect with yourself!